Re: [Phys-l] Symbols for Kinematics

In learning physics from high school onward, I was exposed to all of the
types of symbology so far discussed (i.e. t, delta_t, t_f - t_i, etc.).
It didn't make a significant difference in understanding to any of us
what symbols were being used as long as the teacher (or text) was clear
on stating what symbol convention was being used and then was consistent
in use of the symbols.

Instead of asking, in effect, what is the "optimum" set of symbols to be
used in order to maximize understanding, isn't a more fundamental
question: Why do today's students seem to require such detailed attempts
at optimized teaching whereas past generations seemed to be able to
learn their physics in any clearly defined and consistently used set of
symbols the teacher preferred to use? What is it with modern students
that teachers have to go to such great lengths to be understood? I
suspect we previous generations were just more eager to learn (or maybe
just less distracted by external influences) than today's students are.

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.
Undersea Systems
Annapolis, MD