Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

On 08/09/2007 09:37 AM, Spagna Jr., George wrote:

I tell my
students that the "independent variable" is the one they control, the
"dependent variable" is the one they measure as a result of setting the
independent variable.

There are some cases where that makes sense, but there are also innumerable
cases where it does not make sense.