Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

While agreeing with Mike E's point . . .

| When determining the location of a point in relation to the
| axis of a coordinate system, students appear to have been
| taught they should construct a line through the point and
| perpendicular to the axis of interest. That is not correct.
| Rather, they should construct a line through the point and
| parallel to the other axis.

The perpendicular construction is not incorrect. It just isn't as
general as the "parallel to the other axis" construction.

Personally we have to teach one way or the other, I vote for teaching
the more general construction. Therefore I'm in favor of starting a
"teach the parallel to the other axis" construction movement; i.e. teach
'em that method in 5th grade, (or whatever grade it is that you learn
read the coordinates of a point off a graph.)