Re: [Phys-l] ? passive force of constraint

I don't introduce the phrases "active force" and "passive force" in my
classes. I use those phrases only when discussing with other teachers
the preconceptions of our students. I use examples such as a metal
object on a table to motivate my students to conclude that inanimate
objects can exert forces, but never in my classes do I identify forces
exerted by inanimate objects as passive forces.

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us
jsd@av8n.com 07/19/07 3:34 PM >>>
This leaves us with the question: Is there any good reason to
introduce passive versus active forces? I haven't seen one yet.