Re: [Phys-l] optical center : real-life physics

So if I read the ASCII-art correctly, the optical center of the reading
sections of both lenses was near the upper-right boundary. That does
have to be wrong. But what would be "right"? Both at the center of
their respective sections?

Incidentally, two weeks ago I was outfitted for the first time with
bifocals myself. I opted for the varifocal or progressive addition
lenses, and have adjusted to them moderately well. (It's a great relief
to be able to read again, and also very convenient for computer work:
just tip your head to the angle that brings things into focus.) But the
optometrist's explanation of their function confused me, and the more
complete wikipedia explanation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lenses) still doesn't answer
my main question: Why must there be a blurry region to each side of the
central vertical "channel" where the lens power gradually changes? I
would have thought the sides could be revert (with some gradient, of
course) to the normal distance prescription. But perhaps the side
sections are specified by the boundary conditions of matching the edges
of the central channel and not exceeding some specified thickness at the
rim. (My new lenses are significantly thinner at the rim than my normal
distance prescription lenses were -- I'm quite near-sighted.)

Does anyone here know more about progressive lenses?

Ken Caviness
Physics @ Southern