Re: [Phys-l] mass and the ring down (free decay) of a pendulum

"It will be reasonable to suppose (though needing experimental support)
that the flexure's loss is also proportional to the pendulum's weight.
This is certainly what an engineer would assume, prima facie."

Two competing effects. Increased mass (of bob) increases the rigidity * while it also increases the rigidity of the bottom tied point as if a three point load problem. Loss in the rod has been studied by the cottage industry at Mercer U. (1) in addition to others (2). This is a very good point as It hasn't been (AFAIK) studied in relation to support loss. I must ignore it beyond having mentioned it in my draft. The article is due in a few days.

* This is evidenced by the movement of spring suspensions up (toward the upper clamp -- horologists call it the "chops") w/ increased mass. p. 63 3rd ed. The science of Clocks and Watches, Rawlings et al.
bc, Panzer for reminding him that it may be more significant than he though.
(1) http://physics.mercer.edu/hpage/peters.html

(2) for example: Nelson and Olsson, Am. J. Phys. 54 p. 112

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Let me suppose I have arranged a pendulum consisting of a
weightless rod with a massive bob on its end in a vacuum chamber.
The pendulum is suspended by a flexure made of a non-ideal material,
like a spring steel blade, which is fixed to a rigid immobile structure.

Let me suppose I provide a fixed kinetic energy increment each time
the pendulum crosses the vertical.

Absent electrical or magnetic fields, I can confidently assert that
the sole loss mechanism is at the flexure.

The question with which you seem to be wrestling presently, is the
functional dependency of losses at the flexure.
It is certainly reasonable to appeal to experiment for these data.

It will be entirely unsurprising if the flexure loss is proportional to
maximum deflection i.e. amplitude.
[Lacking this physical feature, a pendulum's amplitude would
increase without limit.]

It will be reasonable to suppose (though needing experimental support)
that the flexure's loss is also proportional to the pendulum's weight.
This is certainly what an engineer would assume, prima facie.

Very well then....for this preceding assumption, one can say
that if one doubles the bob weight mass, one doubles the flexure loss
component due to weight. This has the effect of reducing the amplitude
arising from the constant energy uptake per cycle.

However, the amplitude dependant loss component at the flexure
is reduced in this case.

But you were not concerned with amplitude as maintained, but
amplitude rate of decay.
Given that flexure energy loss is in fact proportional to deflection
i.e amplitude and also to pendulum weight, then it is evident that
amplitude decay rate is increased by increased pendulum mass.

All of which is to confirm that your original assertion given below
"For linear damping the decay constant is independent of the mass."
is inapplicable, for my reasonable assumptions.

Brian W
p.s. the math can be correct but inapplicable, if the model is
wrongly conceived?