Re: [Phys-l] Prime numbers

John's answer is good, but I've always found that a good answer can
still benefit from an example or two. He mentions unique factorization
theorems. Allow me to flesh out that reference just a little:

Most people are familiar with the concept of prime factorization. There
are many different ways to factor most numbers (e.g., 12 = 2x6 and 12 =
3x4), but if we keep breaking down the factors into smaller factors
until they are all prime, we get a unique answer (up to a reordering of
the factors). (For instance, 12 = 2x2x3.)

If you change the definition of prime from "has exactly 2 factors" to
"is only divisible by 1 and itself", the effect is to allow 1 to be
considered prime, and then we would have an infinite number of
"different" prime factorizations for any number:

12 = 2x2x3
12 = 1x2x2x3
12 = 1x1x2x2x3

It might be argued that the exclusion of 1 from the definition of
"prime" is a complication, but it would be much more complicated to have
to define the unique "prime factorization" as the unique "factorization
into primes greater than 1".

Interesting sidenote: I was helping my 7th grade son with an assignment
for prealgebra class last year, and learned for the first time that
there is a standard extension of prime factorization to negative
integers, listing the first factor as (-1). So -150 =
(-1)x(2)x(3)x(5^2). I didn't think much about it at the time, but it
strikes me now that this extension is not unique, since we could replace
the (-1) by (-1)^n, where n is any odd positive integer. Selecting
(-1)^1 is quite arbitrary. I wonder whether there are any number theory
results that are more compact, useful or elegant because of considering
prime factorizations of negative integers. Seems a little bit of a
misnomer, unless we consider (-1) to be prime -- since we're listing it
among the "prime" factors! If so, is there a benefit to including the
arbitrary "prime factorizations" of 0 (0=0) & 1 (1=1). I doubt it.

Ken