Re: [Phys-l] Ugh - RLC circuit issues

On 05/19/2007 12:49 PM, Josh Gates-fac wrote:
Determining the frequency is mostly a pretext for getting them to do a
little creative experimentation. It doesn't really matter to me if their
prediction isn't accurate, but I want them to be able to test for the
resonant frequency with some success.

What means "creative"? Does "creative" mean not using any of
the obvious, practical approaches?

I'd measure the thing by talking to it with a Wavetek digital
waveform synthesizer, finding the peak, and reading the
frequency off the front panel display.

That solves the problem. There are lots of other ways to solve
the problem.

If that doesn't answer the question, please ask a more specific
question. For example, if the scenario is that the student is
alone on a desert island with nothing but a crystal radio and an
unlimited supply of coconuts, and must determine the frequency
of the radio, please be explicit about the constraints.