Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

If CFLs are recycled properly, little mercury from the lights themselves escape into the environment.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Brian Whatcott
Sent: Wed 5/16/2007 7:26 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

At 06:15 PM 5/16/2007, John D., you wrote:

I checked the numbers. According to the EPA web site, the US
puts a couple hundred tons of mercury compounds into the air
annually. Of that "only" 50 tons is attributed to the electrical
power industry. If you pro-rate that over the total electrical
power on the order of 100 quads per year (not exactly right,
but close) that comes to something like 5e-13 grams of Hg
per watt of electricity.

Mercury relays are available which contain quite a few grams
of mercury. Even high power relays may use just a few watts
to activate the coil. They last longer than solid state relays
(at least, that's the claim). I wonder if they are counted as
part of the electrical power industry? Then there are dry cells.
What proportion of mercury-content products are NOT
expected to evaporate mercury to the atmosphere?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!