Re: [Phys-l] CFL's not such a hot idea

We are trying CFLs in our entrance foyer at home as replacements for 2
different lights (each with a single 60 w incandescent bulb). I've
forgotten the actual wattage of the CFLs (maybe 20 or 30 w), but they
are supposed to give the equivalent light output of a 75 w incandescent.
My wife and I both agree that the apparent light output is significantly
less with the CFLs than with the original 60 w incandescents. The bulbs
are fully enclosed in translucent glass globes.

My CFL's say they should not be totally enclosed.

By the by, I was one who originally complained in this thread about the
CFL's not lasting their guaranteed 5 years, and since then I've had to
replace one that was only a couple of months old (and I long ago quit
buying the cheap brands). But who's going to keep the store receipt lying
around for years to get their money back?

Larry