Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question about spring

On 05/15/2007 01:51 PM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

The implication of Scheider's position

I don't think Scheider gets credit for it. The idea goes back to
Poincaré in the earliest years of relativity, nineteen-ought-something.
There is a nice, accessible discussion in Feynman volume II chapter 27
("Field Energy") and chapter 28 ("Electromagnetic Mass").

is that the mass of these particles is due to the energy contained in the fields surrounding them. I'm not sure that is possible.

If you restrict attention to length-scales larger than the
classical electron radius (which is 10^5 times smaller than an
atom) and don't ask about the force of an electron on /itself/,
and consider only /changes/ in the energy, as opposed to the
total energy in the field, it all works fine.

The idea of field energy is well tested in connection with
electronics, motors, and a gazillion other things. There's
nothing going on in a spring that would call this into
question.

Assuming that the electron is truly a point particle

That's irrelevant to the discussion of springs. Rather than
talking about the bare electron, talk about the /dressed/ electron
that carries its Coulomb field along with it.