Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question about spring

At 11:46 +0800 5/10/07, <carmelo@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

So, the increase in elastic potential energy of a spring will effectively increase the spring's mass. The increase in gravitational potential energy of a muon will increase the muon's mass. If a muon is moving towards the earth, its mass would decrease. This seems to be John's conclusion. :-)

I don't think so. The issue is, what is the system. In the case of gravity, it clearly is the "gravitor" and the "gravitee," if it is even possible to make that distinction. That is, the earth and the ball become more tightly bound to each other as the ball rolls down the incline, and so the mass of the earth *and* the mass of the ball, collectively decrease. It makes no sense to talk about either the mass of the earth *or* the mass of the ball individually changing, although it seems reasonable to me that to the extent one can torture the theory to actually talk about the changes in individual masses, that this change would be distributed in proportion to the original masses of each, in which case, most of the change would have to be attributed to the earth rather than the ball. there may be good arguments that would allow one to attribute the change to the ball, or at least mostly to the ball, but I don't know of them if they exist.

In the case of nuclei we don't even try to measure the change of mass of the individual nucleons when they go from a free state to a bound one. All we ever talk about is the change in mass of both of them together, which, contrary to the gravitational case, is readily measurable. But no one says that the neutron "loses such and such a mass" when it becomes bound to a proton, we only talk about the deuteron mass being less than the collective masses of the proton and neutron as free particles.

In the case of the spring, the situation is similar, except that it represents an increase in the system's internal energy rather than a decrease, so it makes sense to talk about an increase in the mass of the spring as a whole. In this case the spring is the entire system, so it makes sense to talk about the change in mass of the spring, but not of any particular part of the spring, except to the extent that we can infer how the internal energy we have added to the spring by compressing it is distributed within the spring.

In the case of nuclei, again, since the neutrons and protons are of approximately equal mass, it makes sense to infer that the change in mass is approximately equally distributed among the nucleons, but that is hardly required, since we only talk about the mass of the nucleus as a whole in normal circumstances, and when we removed a nucleon or an alpha particle from a nucleus, we only talk about the individual nucleon or alpha in connection with the residual nucleus, and not in terms of the still bound nucleons.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar