Re: [Phys-l] sudden Vacuum freezing

At 11:42 PM 5/7/2007, Michael Edmiston, you wrote:

... I've made a lot of
cooling curves involving supercooling and have not seen any evidence of a
new structure between ordinary liquid and ordinary solid during
supercooling.
ll about this would include the
following: (1) I have not done a literature search to find if anyone has
evidence of this new state; (2) my experiments have not been done carefully
enough nor in the proper manner to look for this new state. That is, my
cooling curves have been fairly rapid (not overnight in a freezer), and with
stirring.

Though hesitant, I see that Mike acknowledges the abyssmal ignorance
of liquid water's structural details that exists.

More simple experiments which any of us could try would include: (a) open a
bottle of the "solidified water" as observed in John M's movie and see if it
is truly all solid. (b) Put a thermocouple or thermistor in the bottle
before cooling, then hook the thermocouple to a recorder before initiating
the "freezing" and see what temperature the thing comes to. If it jumps up
to zero Celsius that would imply a normal partial freezing resulting in an
ice-water mix. If it jumps up to something less than zero that would imply
it didn't start in the normal liquid structure and the end result is not an
ice-water mix; rather, the result is totally solid or yet another structural
state not yet named.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

This seems like an entirely viable setup with one detail change.
Knowing the importance of nucleation sites, I would suppose that a stick
on thermocouple in the exterior of the container would be preferable.
A strain gage might be interesting too.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!