Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question

"Some may regard a ball moving down the slope, losing its potential energy, and hence losing invariant mass."

Oxymoron?

bc, couldn't resist.

carmelo@pacific.net.sg wrote:

David Abineri wrote:

Or, perhaps more generally, how does potential energy figure in to a relativistic point of view.

I know this is a little vague but perhaps someone who understands my question might attempt a response appropriate to a high school level class.

Yes, it can be quite vague! It also depends on which school of thought you're in.

It depends on what do you mean by operational definition of mass. Do you have an operational procedure to detect the change in mass?

It may also depend whether you consider all forms of potential energy contribute to mass. Some may allow only certain forms of potential energy. Some may regard a ball moving down the slope, losing its potential energy, and hence losing invariant mass.

Alphonsus