Re: [Phys-l] E=mc^2 because E=mc^2?

John will no doubt speak for himself, however

| "The idea of a speed-dependent mass is part and parcel of
| the approach that uses rulers that can't be trusted and
| clocks that can't be trusted ... an approach that predates
| any notion of spacetime"
|
| Oh, really? So the observation of muons born in upper
| atmosphere and decaying at the sea-level where they could not
| be observed classically, cannot be trusted because the inner
| clock determining the mean lifetime of a muon cannot be
| trusted? And the experiments (long after 1908!) with slowed
| decay of muons cirling in magnetic field cannot be trusted
| for the same reason? And behavior of rulers as dynamic
| systems cannot be trusted? What then constitutes space-time
| measurements if not readings of clocks and rulers?

I think you have the intent of his comment backwards. The way I
interpret what he wrote (see references that he cites, which help in
understanding the comment) is precisely the opposite! He does trust the
inner clock that determines the mean lifetime of the muon.