Re: [Phys-l] E=mc^2 because E=mc^2?

John Denker wrote:
I also find it amusing just how often people who rely on
celebrity endorsements use such "data" selectively. It's
true that 45 years ago Feynman and his colleagues were
teaching the idea of speed-dependent mass ... but 35
years ago they weren't. What are we to make of that?
I take it as evidence that Feynman & Co. were capable
of changing their minds, capable of learning.

35 years ago, Feynman still did not change. You may want to take a look at "Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track" by Richard Feynman. "It was successful, the necessary consequential phenomena (like mass changing with velocity) were ultimately observed experimentally." p 283.

Neither do I agree with "The majority has the truth." However, it is a great opportunity for the students to learn about the tentative nature of science.

There are sound pedagogical and practical reasons for
preferring the spacetime approach, including simplicity,
power, elegance, and consistency. For details on what
I mean by that, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/odometer.pdf

It seems that this is going back to absolute notion of space and time. The image of Jupiter provided can not be *real*: You have forgotten Doppler Effect!

Alphonsus