Re: [Phys-l] speed of sound

The temperature correction is to first order independent of the
gas used:
V(T) = V + 0.606T
Where V is the speed at a known temperature and T is the
difference in temperature between that temperature and temperature wanted
in Celsius.

That's incorrect. The empirical formula given above will work near 0 degrees Celsius for a gas whose speed of sound is 331 m/s at 0 degrees Celsius, e.g. air, but not for arbitrary gases or for arbitrary reference temperatures.

To a good degree of approximation, within a somewhat restricted range of temperatures and frequencies, the speed of sound in a gas is proportional to the square root of the absolute temperature. This would seem to apply to the case you are describing, so you should be able to use

v(T) = v(T_ref)*sqrt(T/T_ref)

[Note that 331*sqrt(274/273) = 331 + 1*(.606), that 331*sqrt(283/273) = 331 + 10*(.601), and that 331*sqrt(303/273) = 331 + 30*(.590)]

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and