From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of Jeffrey Schnick
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 8:08 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] pinhole camera

We have, in the physics lab, this big converging lens, about
40 cm in diameter, with about a 45 cm focal length. An
incandescent light bulb is placed about 6m in front of the
lens, on the principal axis of the lens. As part of a
laboratory exercise, a student positions herself about 90 cm
behind the lens such that the lens is at eye level. The
student's lab partner positions a piece of plain white copier
paper between the student and the lens, at the location of
the image of the light bulb. The image is bright enough so
that one can see it from either in front of or behind the
paper. The lab partner slowly raises the paper while the
student focuses her attention on the image of the light bulb.
About 1 in 5 students report that the image is visible right
where it appeared when the paper was there. It appears to be
hovering there in the air. I used to be able to see it. It
is fascinating. Whether or not it looks like it is right
there, one can use parallax to establish the location of the
image (with the paper screen removed). I put a piece of
white tape on the top of the lens and when the student moves
her head to the right, relative to her, the image moves
farther to the left than the piece of tape does. When she
moves her head to the left, relative to her, the image moves
farther to the right than the piece of tape does. Based on
parallax, the student sees the image closer to herself than
the lens is.

When I try this with a piece of paper with a pin hole in it,
what I am looking at appears to be the same angular size as
the object, and, it is back behind the pinhole at a distance,
based on parallax, that I judge to be at about the same
distance from me as the object itself is. I conclude that I
am looking at the object rather than an image of the object.

When I use a pinhole camera to form an image of a scene on a
screen, I think the light coming from a particular point in
the scene is diverging from that point on its way to the
screen. So I agree with Robert Cohen, with no screen, there
is no image.

Jeff Schnick
Saint Anselm College