Re: [Phys-l] Help with particle physics preparations...

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Jeff Loats wrote (in part):

In my modern physics class this term we have rearranged (and eliminated)
topics a bit, so I find myself with a few extra days to play with. With
it we are delving into particle physics and the standard model. This is
not a topic I ever studied in depth as a student, so I am learning a LOT!

In preparation for our discussion of quarks I am reminded of a question
that has haunted me since I first learned about quarks. I figured the
good folks at Phys-l would be willing to help out. Here it is

The strange, charm, top and bottom quarks all have their own quantum
numbers, while the up and down quark do not.

Why do you say that "up" and "down" do not? Down-ness, and up-ness (and strangeness) are perfectly good quantum numbers that are conserved in the strong interactions. This conservation is reflected in "isotopic-spin"
(and strangeness) conservation in the strong interactions.

Weak interactions, of course, break this conservation rule, as, I take it, you understand.

Regards,
Jack