Re: [Phys-l] pinhole camera

I see, a Berkeleyan.

bc, thinks not falsifiable.

Herb Gottlieb wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:38:18 -0400 "Robert Cohen"
<Robert.Cohen@po-box.esu.edu> writes:

My first reaction is to agree with Michael. If you remove the screen
and look at the pinhole, you see the object (just a very small piece of
it).

On the other hand, once you place the screen at a particular location,
you produce an image there. By diffuse scattering, the rays reflecting
off the screen are indeed (to a very close approximation) diverging from
a point on that screen (which makes the image "real" in my view).

So, remove the screen - no image. With the screen, image.

With a lens, however, the image is there > regardless of whether the

screen is there
or not.

*** It certainly sounds reasonable ....but just how can you be sure that
the image is there when you remove the screen?????

cut