Re: [Phys-l] Poverty and Academic Achievement

Speaking of recognizing student achievement, my practice was always (for the
past few decades, anyway, in courses of 100 or more students) of posting (most
recently, on the web) the names of the "Top 10" (plus ties, sometimes) on each
exam, including pointing out repeats, and then having a "Top Ten" for the whole
course
at the end.

I had other faculty who didn't like this - they thought maybe it violated the
Buckley Amendment or something. I said I would stop when the university stopped
listing the top passers, rushers, scorers, etc. in reports on athletic games.

Only once did any student complain. He'd picked up some points on a regrade (my
exams were written, not multiple choice) and I hadn't noticed that this boosted
him into the Top Whatever, but I did add him when he pointed this out to me.

Laurent Hodges