Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] E = mc2

Actually, Einstein's book is quite clear. I and several of my classmates read it in high school. Just following a straightforward derivation is not the best way to introduce it. I suggest that the context be included. The following books are excellent:

*The Meaning of Relativity: Including the Relativistic Theory of the Non-Symmetric Field* (5^th edition) by Einstein, Albert published by Princeton University Press (Princeton science library Series), Princeton, NJ (2005) xxiv+169 pp. With a new introduction by Brian Greene.

*Einstein's Miraculous Year: Five Papers that Changed the Face of Physics* edited and introduced by Stachel, John J. with the assistance of Trevor Lipscombe, Alice Calaprice, and Sam Elworthy; and with a foreword by Roger Penrose published by Princeton University Press.

*Einstein 1905: The Standard of Greatness *by John S. Rigden published by Harvard University Press.

Then there are the excellent articles in "Radiations" on each of the papers.

I have a PowerPoint presentation that I am willing to send separately. It is not very sophisticated, but I think worthwhile.

John Hubisz

Anthony Lapinski wrote:
My students know about Einstein's famous equation, and recently asked
where it comes from. I know that it is a result of his special theory of
relativity, but can someone point me to a reference which shows a "simple"
derivation of this formula? And would it be easy for high school physics
students to understand?