[Phys-l] The U.S. Education Crisis: Manufactured or Real?

If you reply to this long (16 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

************************************
ABSTRACT: Is the U.S. education crisis manufactured or real? I give 14 hot-linked references, ranging from Berliner & Biddle (it's manufactured) to Steadman (it's real.)
************************************

Michael Paul Goldenberg (2007a) in his Math-Teach post of 20 Mar 2007 titled "Re: A problem," wrote [bracketed by lines "GGGGG. . . .; my inserts at ". . . .[insert]. . . ."; my CAPS; slightly edited]:

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
. . . . . . In any event, on matters of education, I'm not terribly sanguine about the other major party. Indeed, I can't recall any politician making sense about educational policy in recent years, if ever.

Reading "The Manufactured Crisis" by Berliner and Biddle . . . .[(1996)]. . .helps make much of this clear.

For a great review and summary of the above, see Lawrence Steadman's (1996) piece, "The Achievement Crisis is Real: A Review of 'The Manufactured Crisis' "
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Michael has highlighted a hot topic. A Google search for ("Manufactured Crisis" education) - with the quotes but not the parentheses - yielded 41,600 hits as of 22 Mar 2007 16:35:00-0700.

Having sifted through them all ;-) and added a few more, I should like to recommend [in addition to Berliner & Biddle (1996) and Steadman (1996)] the following collection of diverse viewpoints:

Ansary (2007), Bracy (2003), Bransford et al. (2000), Brown & Brown (2007), COSEPUP (2005), Donovan & Bransford (2005), EdWeek (2007), Hake (2000), Holton (1986), NCOE (1983), Peterson (2003), Schmidt et al. (2001), Valverde et al. (2002), and Wittmann (2007).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member: Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Ansary, T. 2007. "Education at Risk," Edutopia, 7 March, online at <http://www.edutopia.org/magazine/ed1article.php?id=Art_1798&issue=mar_07>. The heading reads: "Nearly a quarter century ago, 'A Nation at Risk'. . . .[ NCOE (1983)]. . . . . hit our schools like a brick dropped from a penthouse window. One problem: The landmark document that still shapes our national debate on education was misquoted, misinterpreted, and often dead wrong."

Berliner, D.C. and B.J. Biddle. 1996. "The Manufactured Crisis: Myths, Fraud, and the Attack on America's Public Schools." Addison-Wesley. Amazon.com information at
<http://www.amazon.com/Manufactured-Crisis-Attack-Americas-Schools/dp/0201441969>.

Bracy, G.W. 2003. "April Foolishness: The 20th Anniversary of A Nation at Risk" Phi Delta Kappan, 1 April, online at <http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k0304bra.htm>.

Bransford, J.D., A.L. Brown, R.R. Cocking, eds. 2000. "How people learn: brain, mind, experience, and school." Nat. Acad. Press; online at <http://tinyurl.com/apbgf>.

Brown, A.S. & L.L. Brown. 2007. "What Are Science & Math Test Scores Really Telling U.S.? The Bent of Tau Beta Pi, Winter, pp. 13-17, online at <http://www.tbp.org/pages/Publications/BENTFeatures/W07Brown.pdf> (404 kB).

COSEPUP. 2005. COmmittee on Science, Engineering, and PUblic Policy, "Rising Above the Gathering Storm: Energizing and Employing America for a Brighter Future," National Academies Press; online at <http://books.nap.edu/catalog/11463.html >. The description reads: "In a world where advanced knowledge is widespread and low-cost labor is readily available, U.S. advantages in the marketplace and in science and technology have begun to erode. A comprehensive and coordinated federal effort is urgently needed to bolster U.S. competitiveness and pre-eminence in these areas. This congressionally requested report by a pre-eminent committee makes four recommendations along with 20 implementation actions that federal policy-makers should take to create high-quality jobs and focus new science and technology efforts on meeting the nation's needs, especially in the area of clean, affordable energy:
1) INCREASE AMERICA'S TALENT POOL BY VASTLY IMPROVING K-12 MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE EDUCATION;
2) Sustain and strengthen the nation's commitment to long-term basic research;
3) Develop, recruit, and retain top students, scientists, and engineers from both the U.S. and abroad; and
4) Ensure that the United States is the premier place in the world for innovation."

Donovan, S.M. & J.D. Bransford, eds. 2005. "How Students Learn History, Mathematics, and Science in the Classroom." Nat. Acad. Press; online at <http://books.nap.edu/catalog/10126.html>. In Chapter 5 "Mathematical Understanding: An Introduction," Karen Fuson, Mindy Kalchman, and John Bransford write: "If we look through the lens of 'How People Learn' [. . . .Bransford et al. (2000)]. . . we see a subject that is rarely taught in a way that makes use of the three principles that are the focus of this volume. Instead of connecting with, building on, and refining the mathematical understandings, intuitions, and resourcefulness that students bring to the classroom (Principle 1), mathematics instruction often overrides students' reasoning processes, replacing them with a set of rules and procedures that disconnects problem solving from meaning making. Instead of organizing the skills and competences required to do mathematics fluently around a set of core mathematical concepts (Principle 2), those skills and competencies are often themselves the center, and sometimes the whole, of instruction. And precisely because the acquisition of procedural knowledge is often divorced from meaning making, students do not use metacognitive strategies (Principle 3) when they engage in solving mathematics problems."

EdWeek. 2007. "A Nation At Risk," online in Education Week's "Issues A to Z" at <http://www2.edweek.org/rc/issues/>.

Goldenberg, M.P. 2007b. "Re: A problem." Math-Teach post of 20 Mar 2007 15:02:22-0400; online at <http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=5587455&tstart=0>.

Hake, R.R. 2000. "Is it Finally Time to Implement Curriculum S?" AAPT Announcer 30(4), 103; online <http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/CurrS-031501.pdf> (1.2 MB) - 400 references & footnotes, 390 hot-linked URL's. This paper concerns improving the education of undergraduate physics majors by instituting a "Curriculum S" for "Synthesis." But because that's a small part of a much larger educational problem in the U.S. there's a lot of material on the reform of P-16 education generally (P = preschool).

Holton, G. 1986. "A Nation at Risk Revisited," in "The Advancement of Science and its Burdens" (Univ. of Cambridge Press, 1986): Holton wrote: "If the Constitution and the Tenth Amendment are interpreted narrowly, as is now the fashion, one cannot be surprised by the movement to phase out most or all of the federal responsibility for education ...Š Thomas Jefferson, in asking Congress for a remedy, said 'An amendment of our Constitution must here come in aid of the public education. The influence on government must be shared by all the people.'........Without a device that encourages cumulative improvement over the long haul, without a built-in mandate to identify and promote the national interest in education as well as to 'help fund and support efforts to protect and promote that interest' ...Š we shall go to sleep again between the challenges of a Sputnik and a Honda." Holton, the Mallinckrodt Professor of Physics and Professor of the History of Science at Harvard, was a member of the National Commission on Education that produced "A Nation at Risk" - see <http://www.ed.gov/pubs/NatAtRisk/members.html>.

NCOE. 1983. National Commission On Education. 1983. "A Nation at Risk: The Imperative For Educational Reform," online at <http://www.ed.gov/pubs/NatAtRisk/index.html>.

Peterson, P.E., "Our Schools & Our Future ... Are We Still at Risk? 2003, Hoover Institution. 2003; online at <http://www.hoover.org/publications/books/3002506.html>. Peterson writes: "Twenty years ago, the National Commission on Excellence in Education (Excellence Commission) delivered a thunderbolt in the form of a report called "A Nation at Risk." With the hindsight that two decades can provide, it is clear that this report awakened millions of Americans to a national crisis in primary and secondary education. "A Nation at Risk" bluntly and forcefully pinpointed the problems facing our public schools and insisted that their solution would require a new commitment to education quality, on the part of school administrators, teachers, parents, and students.. . . . . . . Today, twenty years after its release, nearly everyone in the United States who attends to such matters, save for a few Panglosses within the education profession, recognizes that "A Nation at Risk" accurately described our flagging academic performance, underperforming schools, and underachieving children and the insidious threat they posed to our national welfare, long-term economic strength, cultural vitality, and civic competence.

Schmidt W.H., C.C. McKnight, R.T. Houang, H.C. Wang, D. Wiley, L.S. Cogan, R.G. Wolfe. 2001. "Why Schools Matter: A Cross-National Comparison of Curriculum and Learning." Jossey-Bass. Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/7esac>, Michigan State information at
<http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/international/bookExh/publication/schmidt1/schmidt1.htm>. Physics Nobelist Leon Lederman stated: "It is my belief that this is one of the most relevant reports to the nation on the roots of our failed educational reform efforts."

Steadman, L.C. 1996. "The Achievement Crisis is Real: A Review of 'The Manufactured Crisis'," " in Education Policy Analysis Archives 4(1), 23 January; online at <http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v4n1.html>.

Valverde, G.A. , L.J. Bianchi, R.G. Wolfe, W.H. Schmidt, & R.T. Houang. 2002. "According to the Book: Using TIMSS to Investigate the Translation of Policy into Practice Through the World of Textbooks." Springer. Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/2sjstq>. Michigan State information at <http://ed-web3.educ.msu.edu/international/bookExh/publication/houang/houang.htm>.

Wittmann, W. 2007. "The Case of the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) and How the United States of America Deals With Its Implications Compared to Other Countries," PowerPoint presentation, online at <http://tinyurl.com/3yzapb>. A sampling of Wittmann' slides (slightly edited):
"Disastrous [PISA] results for some countries; e.g. Germany and the U.S.
Not much discussion and excitement in the U.S.
Why ? Are the PISA results to be ignored?
There are some warning signs on the wall. Will anyone understand the consequences and
implement corrective policies?!
What is wrong with U.S. K-12 (and maybe K-16) education?
It is a paradox that the odds of foreign borns getting top-notch US educations and high
level positions in some major areas are higher than the odds of those born in the U.S."