Re: [Phys-l] Queston: simple pendulum lengthen suspension.

At 08:28 AM 3/19/2007, Phil Keller, you wrote:

As for the case where the lengthening occurs at the extreme point (where v
= 0), I don't see why the angular amplitude would be affected. It would
be like replacing the string with a longer string and then restarting the
oscillations, but still from the same angle. But the equilibrium speed
would increase.

Phil Keller
1st post to list -- hope it isn't gibberish :)

So pleasant to see a fresh metaphorical face.

I specified identical [displacement] amplitude and others have
specified reduced [angular] amplitude [i.e. the same presumption]
simply to define their basis for drawing conclusions.

If you wish to define your assumption is to hold the prior angular
amplitude for a longer length of pendulum, then because the
stored energy is greater, it does indeed convert to a faster central
speed.

But for me, it is the idea of pumping an oscillator or
garden swing to greater displacements that is illuminating.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!