Re: [Phys-l] Queston: simple pendulum lengthen suspension.

For the case you (PK) discuss specifically, IIRC, there is universal agreement.
Perhaps I should have begun w/ my motivation and the method I tried to use to answer my question. OTOH it might have "coloured" the replies.

About the turn + of the century. Horologists designed rather period constant pendulua clocks. Very high Q (well over an hour for A to decrease to 1/e), minimal interference w/ the period by the addition and extraction of energy. [Gravity impulse at 30 s interval and at that time stepping the clock -- master and slave(s) w/ the master in < one mm Hg vacuum etc.] A most important manufacturer sold slaves as use as masters for non Astronomical and naval use. In that case they often have a "weight" tray in which compensating weights are added (or subtracted) rather than use the thumb screw to vary the bob's distance. It takes a very long time for the pendulum to reach equilibrium ("settle down") after such adjustment. After learning this from a Horologist, I posed the question, "have you noticed a change in the amplitude?" Very little examination of amplitude has been done 'till the introduction of the "Microset" to the "Horological" community, so no answer. Since the usual addition is a few grams w/ a 15 kg bob, probably not noticeable, and no one has reported such w/ the Microset. so I, as reported, tried numerically modelling.
The replies have led me to understand my model and whether it conforms to the question. It is as Jack U., a sudden (The time steps are 0.1 milli s.) introduction of a new initial condition w/ the others the same (theta dot and theta). So it doesn't necessarily conform to the "gedanken...". For the l at amplitude (max. displacement), I think it conforms. Adding mass below the bob lengthens l, or D and G^2 [omega^2 = gD/G^2], essentially the same tho different amounts between the simple and physical pendulua). Equivalence ensures that the A remains the same, if added in a manner that doesn't change E(k). So thoughtlessly (naively). I got this correct, ... I pray.

For the addition at "bottom dead centre" My model is wildly wrong. Adding mass will subtract E because it is an impulse (energy required to accelerate the mass to the same as the bob. It is an inelastic collision. So not only will A be reduced for the previous reason, but also to conserve E. E (k)max. = mgh max. = mg l[1- cos(theta)], as JS agreed.

My model kept theta and theta dot (now at max.) the same and increased l. This effectively increased the moment of momentum and and the E(k) angular. Since U is proportional to l and E(k) to l^2, it's no wonder the amplitude increased!
bc

PHILIP KELLER wrote:

Would you get at the same concept by reframing the original question as a
comparison question:

Given two simple pendulums of lengths L and L+delta, both passing through
their equilibrium positions at the same speed. Which has greater
amplitude?

This way, we don't haave to worry about the mechanism used to lengthen the
string.

As for the case where the lengthening occurs at the extreme point (where v
= 0), I don't see why the angular amplitude would be affected. It would
be like replacing the string with a longer string and then restarting the
oscillations, but still from the same angle. But the equilibrium speed
would increase.

Phil Keller
1st post to list -- hope it isn't gibberish :)