[Phys-l] COLD FUSION

As some of you know, cold fusion became my full-time occupation since retirement. I immersed myself into muddy waters of that field in order to find one reproducible-on-demand demo of a nuclear process associated with a chemical process. I am still searching. This work put me in contact with a large number of people, some highly knowledgeable and some with more enthusiasm than knowledge. There will be two Cold Fusion sessions at the next Monday meeting of American Physical Society. I decided to attend this meeting, and to make a presentation, if allowed. It might not be accepted because it was submitted late. I am counting on some last minute cancellations. I would be talking about an experiment that was prepared and performed (in the last three months) with an undergraduate physics major at Montclair State University, and with two other persons. A retired electrochemistry professor was also my teammate. He was our advisor, because lives in Minnesota. Our goal was to replicate the SPAWAR experiment, described at points 7 and 8 in

http://newenergytimes.com/news/2006/NET19.htm

Our experimental work ended about a week ago. We obtained the same results as scientists from the US Navy lab in San Diego. Following their protocol, we observed copious nuclear-track-looking pits on the CR-39 detector that was in contact with the cathode of an electrolytic cell. The most amazing, and puzzling, fact is that such pits are produced only when a magnetic field (about 0.3 T near the silver cathode) is present. After analyzing the pits, and comparing them to tracks produced by alpha particles, I came to the conclusion that pits cannot possibly be due to alpha particles, or to lighter nuclear projectiles, as claimed by Frank Gordon et al. (see the above URL). That is what I want to report next Monday at the APS meeting. Unit #319, for my CF website, is ready; it will be posted it after the conference. In that way I will be able to report how others reacted to my presentation. Stay tuned. The title of my paper is "Nuclear or not nuclear, that is the question." And the tentative answer will be "not nuclear."

But I never heard about a chemical process whose rate is drastically changed by a magnetic field from a permanent magnet. Does anyone know of a chemical process that can be stopped by removing a magnet? If so then please share what you know, preferably today or tomorrow. I still do not know what to say about this experimental fact. Our electrochemistry advisor thinks that hydroxide ions, from decomposed water, are somehow concentrated where the cathode and the plastic material (CR-39) are in contact. But how can it be? The prevailing direction of the imposed magnetic field lines is from the anode to the cathode (the q*v*B force is nearly zero).

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://netdrive.montclair.edu/~kowalskil/cf/