Re: [Phys-l] Pinewood Derby Car Weight....

HI,
Another hint is to tune the axles, which are nails. Some nails have little "ears" caused by the stamping process that formed the head of the nail. File these down and smooth and polish the axle. Check the side of the wheels to see that they are smooth.

As mentioned by others, not tracking straight will scruff off a lot of energy.

My introductory physics logic says the weight should not matter, but my gut, is pretty sure that "secondary" effects (like even slight tracking problems) will favor the heavier cars.

Thanks
Roger Haar
U of AZ