Re: [Phys-l] Mary Burgan's Defense of Lecturing

At 03:08 PM 2/17/2007, Dr Hake, you wrote:

************************************
ABSTRACT: Excerpts from Mary Burgan's Change article "In Defense of
Lecturing" suggest that her essay would have been more appropriately
titled "In Defense of the Sage on the Stage," since she extols
lecturing sages rather than lecturers per se. Aside from my own
criticisms that I triple bracket [[[. . . .]]] within the excerpts,
the most incisive criticism of Burgan's lecturing sage, in my
opinion, is that of Russ Hunt, who asks why the lecturing sage
doesn't stop lecturing and simply defer to the sage behind Bound
Optimally Organized Knowledge (BOOK). The use of BOOK rather than
sages lecturing to intellectually passive students was recommended 44
years ago by chemist Frank Lambert, who called this radical departure
from traditional university practice the Gutenberg method because it
recognizes the invention of the printing press.

To access the entire post simply click on <http://tinyurl.com/36rkjt>.

If I may say, this is the most succinct, cogent, powerful note I have
read from Professor Hake in a good while,
Lang may your Lum reek

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!