[Phys-l] Physics, chem, phys sci Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer

Feb. 16, 2007
ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to other teachers):

Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical
science will be held in summer 2007 in Arizona, California, Florida,
Kansas, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Philadelphia PA, and Dallas, Texas.
Pending funding, they will be held in Chicago, IL.
Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for details. Click on "Modeling
Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2007".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.
At most sites, stipends and/or free tuition are available.

Teachers greatly value Modeling Instruction. For example:
* Jane Nelson, Orlando, FL (Disney high school math/science awardee,
Presidential science awardee) wrote: "In thirty years of teaching, nothing
has impacted my teaching, since my first days of learning how to teach
science in undergraduate school, like the ideas I've learned in modeling.
It is the best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen."
* David Braunschweig, Madison, WI (PTRA; now retired and consulting for
Vernier Software & Technology) wrote: "After the first year of teaching
using the modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years
ago."

"Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher.
"Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in
physics."
"I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this fall!"
"I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of
college!"
"Great chem workshop."
"It was, without a doubt, the single greatest professional development
experience of my
career."

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept. of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 16 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.