Re: [Phys-l] Baryon Mass Values

In a message dated 2/15/2007 1:07:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jerry.f@temple.edu writes:

On Feb 15, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Faraday321@aol.com wrote:
I have noticed a relationship involving the baryon mass values and the
difference between pion and muon mass values which is interesting. It
MAY point to a deeper underlying symmetry but beyond this I can't say.
The relationship is

M_baryon= approx N* ( M-pion- M_muon)
Where N is an integer. Check it out.
Bob Zannelli

It is a remarkable coincidence that on the same day I saw this emaii, the
arXiv
included the following abstract:
Paper: hep-ph/0702140
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 05:40:15 GMT (174kb)

No Coincidence I read this paper. This was were I noticed it.

Bob Zannelli

Title: Pion and muon mass difference: a determining factor in elementary
particle mass distribution
Authors: G. N. Shah and T. A. Mir
Categories: hep-ph
Comments: 10 pages, 1 figure, 10 tables
\\
The most fundamental to the elementary particles is the mass they posses and
it would be of importance to explore a possible relationship amongst their
masses. Here, an attempt is made to investigate this important aspect
irrespective of their nature or scheme of classification. We show that there
exists a striking tendency for successive mass differences between elementary
particles to be close integral/half integral multiple of the mass difference
between a neutral pion and a muon. Thus indicating discreteness in the nature
of the mass occurring at elementary particle level. Further, this mass
difference of 29.318 MeV is found to be common to the mass spectra of leptons
and baryons, implying thereby existence of a basic mechanism linking
elementary
particles responding to different interactions.
\\ ( http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0702140 , 174kb)

The paper includes many references to earlier such suggestions. As with
much of
physics, the earliest paper on this subject was by Nambu.
I have noticed that the idea is revived with about a ten year period. Some
years ago, a Physics Today article demonstrated that there are so many
possible
numerology schemes that it is not unlikely that one or two would work
"surprisingly" well. You know, most people who win the power ball can give a
good reason why they picked the right numbers. The pion and the muon are so
unrelated in their structures that they are an unlikely pairing for a
numerological basis. I think Balmer is what keeps such schemes coming. I
find
it interesting that the unlikely cooincidence of two communications with the
same idea in one day is an illustration of how numerology sometimes seems to
work.