Re: [Phys-l] FW: universal gravitation lab

I think I got the idea of sand from Strong. There's sand box holography too.

bc, too lazy to check

p.s. An acquaintance recording engineer suggested wet suit material to isolate microphone stand bases.

Roger Haar wrote:

Hi,

We do OK with reducing vibrations. Our balance is mounted on a 3-4 ft high column, which is constructed of 1 ft cubes of concrete separated by vibration damping pads (like McMaster-Carr part # 5998k4 www.mcmaster.com)

Once, I poured a 6" thick pad on concrete on top of a small Steelcase desk. I had planned to add vibration damping pads between the concrete and the desk, but the faculty member was happy without this addition for his atomic force microscope. ( I made a form, placed it on the desk, and mixed up seven bag of concrete mix. I figure it is 350-400 lb) The story is if you can decouple a little bit from the source of vibrations, mass usually helps.

One could also try the methods in John Strong's classic, "Procedures in Experimental Physics".

Thanks
Roger Haar U of AZ Physics

Paul Lulai wrote:

Man, I hated the execution of the Cavendish experiment. Not only come
in at night *but also* try to time the buildings HVAC system to get a
good run... Arrgh.

Paul Lulai

cut