Re: [Phys-l] Crater Help

I do the same thing with flour and various size marbles/steel balls. Not
much else you can do. At least the sides will clearly be raised.

You can also throw them at an angle to produce "rays."

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I'm trying to run a lab with some conceptual physics students (freshmen)
about crater formation (crater characteristics and their relationship to
KE/gPE of the "meteorite"), but am having trouble getting anything other
than deeper/less deep craters with heavier/lighter balls. From the talk
on webpages discussing the various incarnations of this experiment, I am
also expecting to get some wider/narrower craters. All of my craters are
almost exactly the width of the balls. I'm using uncompacted flour. Any
hints?
Thanks,

Josh Gates
Stoneleigh-Burnham School