Re: [Phys-l] burning match discharges charged body

Tape or melt three or four birthday candles together produce a large sooty flame. Place this near your van de Graff generator in still air and the flame will flatten and separate into two flickering and recombining tails. Soot will accum. on the dome of the generator. Makes for good discussion about what is fire.

Scott

On Feb 8, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Spagna Jr., George wrote:

Tom Bross asks

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l->bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of
tbross@aol.com

When I charge an electroscope, I found that lighting a match nearby
will >cause a discharge. Does anyone have an explanation?

The flame is partially ionized - those ions are migrating to and
discharging the electroscope.

"A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into

theorems." -- Paul Erdos

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College