Re: [Phys-l] Emissivity and conductivity.

Much of the interaction of light with matter can be understood using two
ideas;

1. Energy reflected + energy transmitted + energy absorbed = incident
energy
or
R + T + A = 1

2. Kirchoff's Law:
Energy emitted = energy absorbed
or emissivity = absorptivity

For an opaque material (T=0),
R + A = 1
so
A = 1 - R

So materials with high reflectivity have low absorptivity, and hence low
emissivity.

Larry Woolf
General Atomics
www.ga.com