Re: [Phys-l] IR thermometer buy

The m is a cut and paste error, but when I directly view the PDF w/ either the Mac. or Adobe version I still get 6 and 14. This is a BTW. [Turns out a very much not so.]

I woke up from either a dream or hypnagogic state a few days ago w/ an answer. One of which is in the Vernier instructions and directly addresses LK's point. i.e. the subject temperature area must fill (better 1.5 => twice) the view field as defined by the LASER's pattern. LK's point refers to point source or at least far field. One must use near field wherein the energy received is independent of the distance. How it interprets the received energy is the other question. My quick calc. * of the emitted energy from a source at zero deg. convinced me the 0.6. => 1.4 micron window could not be correct. I suspect synchronous detection would be necessary! Following JG's implied suggestion I found the majority of Omega's (and other's) detectors use an ~ 8 to 14 Micron band. A vis./near IR one is used at high temps e.g. ~ > 2k deg. My other question related to how the thermometer would compensate for the deviation from T^4 that would come from detecting only a small portion of the total bandwidth. I finally found the below which also answered by question on the detector. [My old source suggests only doped Ge, TC, and thermisters would be suitable.]

http://archives.sensorsmag.com/articles/1099/80/main.shtml

* Off scale on my GE slide rule. Lazily I used:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/radfrac.html#c1

bc

John Gastineau wrote:

That would be 0.6 to 1.4 micrometers, not millimeters. Near IR is in the micrometer wavelength range. Our printed info shows the micro sign correctly; I'm not sure where you grabbed that text, but it is a common formatting error to replace a mu with an m when text is copied and pasted.

There are several ways to do IR thermometry, as you have probably read on perusing the Omega web site: http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/infraredthermometer.html

The Vernier unit is made by Omega, and I confess to not knowing the details of its operation. I think, but do not know, that it functions with a single detector in a cavity that is brought into IR light equilibrium with the target surface--then knowing the IR radiation and the local temperature, the temp of the remote surface can be inferred. I didn't supervise this project, and so don't have good contacts at Omega to get more information. I'll see what I can do.

The Fresnel lens is useful simply because you can get a short focal length with very little lens material.

--
John Gastineau
Staff Scientist and Partner

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

John!

1. A minor nit: you mean nm not mm? And 0.6 => 1.4 nm?
2. A single detector?
3. How does it measure the spectral distrib. w/ a single element and no dispersive element?

"To measure temperature, this sensor gathers infrared radiation in the 6 to 14 mm [1] wavelength range. A Fresnel lens on the front of the sensor focuses the radiation onto the sensing element [2]. The observed spectral distribution is used to determine the object’s temperature assuming standard blackbody radiation with an emissivity of 0.95."

bc, who wonders why a Fresnel instead of an ordinary and the material of the lens, etc.

John Gastineau wrote:

What specifically is your question regarding our description?

--
John Gastineau
Staff Scientist and Partner
Vernier Software & Technology
jgastineau@vernier.com

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

A few problems w/ this description from Vernier.

How the Infrared Thermometer Works and Measurement Tips
All objects emit infrared radiation, and the amount emitted is proportional to the
object’s temperature and its ability to emit infrared radiation. This ability called
emissivity is based on the material of the object and its surface finish. Emissivity
values range from 0.10 to 1.00 for a perfect black body. (See the chart below.) This
sensor makes its measurement based on a fixed emissivity of 0.95 which covers most
everyday objects. This sensor and all other infrared thermometers do not accurately
measure the temperature of shiny substances, e.g., polished metals, etc. To measure

cut