Re: [Phys-l] Final velocity of bullets

Roger is correct on both counts:

1. We generally model the high speed case of fluid resistance (typical
example: an object moving in air) by the quadratic approximation: f =
c v^2, where the constant (here: c) depends on the geometry of the
object and the density of the fluid.

2. We can't simply assume that the y-component of the velocity on impact
is the terminal velocity, and the x-component is the same as the
original horizontal velocity. Friction acts in the direction opposite
to the instantaneous velocity, so this is a vector differential
equation. With the common choice of "up" being the +y direction, and
choosing the +x direction to be perpendicular to it such that the
object's initial velocity has a component in the +x direction, we get:

-mg j_hat - c v^2 v_hat = m a_vector,

where v_hat is a unit vector in the direction of the velocity: v_hat =
v_vector/v, and j_hat is a unit vector in the y-direction (i_hat in the
x-direction).

Writing a_vector = a_x i_hat + a_y j_hat, v_vector = v_x i_hat + v_y
j_hat, this gives

-mg j_hat - c v^2 (v_x i_hat + v_y j_hat)/v = m (a_x i_hat + a_y j_hat),

or

-mg j_hat - c v (v_x i_hat + v_y j_hat) = m (a_x i_hat + a_y j_hat).

Separating the x- & y- components:

- c v v_x = m a_x and -mg - c v v_y = m a_y

If that second equation had (v_y)^2 instead of v v_y, we'd have our
normal 1-dimensional case (at least as far as the y-direction goes) with
v_y approaching sqrt(m/(cg)) asymptotically. But we don't. The length
of v_vector, v = sqrt(v_x^2+v_y^2), so the equations really are

- c v_x sqrt(v_x^2+v_y^2) = m a_x
and -mg - c v_y sqrt(v_x^2+v_y^2) = m a_y

The bad news is that both of these involve both x and y derivatives,
there's no way to separate variables and integrate. Numerical
approximations can be done quite easily -- for instance with an Excel
spreadsheet -- and the basic way I think of it is that we approach
terminal velocity in _some_ direction of motion, while the angle is also
approaching vertical downward.

Give it enough time and the object will be heading basically straight
downward, basically at the terminal velocity v_t = sqrt(m/(cg)).
(Notice that the formula for v_t depends on which approximation we're
using to model the fluid resistance! They're all approximations,
anyway.)

Fun to think about this stuff!

Ken Caviness
Physics