Re: [Phys-l] Final velocity of bullets

Hi,

I am 99% sure that a few years ago in Phoenix, there was serious or fatal injury from a celebratory near vertical gun shot. As I recall, the bullet entered the top of the skull. Since then there has been a media campaign to warn people not to do this and the police have attempted to clamp down. Thus it is known experimentally that vertically fired bullets can be deadly.

From Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

(a) At what elevation must a typical gun be fired such that air friction
reduces the velocity sufficiently that the landing velocity is near
free-fall terminal velocity? I think we are agreed that a bullet fired
straight up will land at terminal velocity. I think we are also agreed
that a bullet fired at steep angle, but not straight up, will land with
some horizontal velocity in addition to terminal vertical velocity. Is
there an angle of launch above which a typical bullet is not lethal.
(And I think we realize this is gun and bullet dependent.)

I am no so sure that one can decompose air friction into components like that. I think the horizontal velocity is going to effect the vertical terminal velocity. The bullet/ air interaction is more turbulent than viscous in nature so the drag force is proportional to v^2 not v.

Thanks
Roger Haar