Re: [Phys-l] Final velocity of bullets - spin rate

Being unfamiliar with guns I was surprised when Oren Quist wrote:

suppose the bullet spins two revolutions as it moves
through a 75 cm long barrel. (these numbers are somewhat arbitrary,
but reasonably close to actual -- please replace with better numbers
if you have them).

I would have guessed a higher spin rate. However using Bruce Esser's
high power rifle data:

muzzle velocity 2932 fps (or 89,370 cm per sec)
measured muzzle spin at 158,000 rpm (or 2630 rev. per sec)

For a 75 cm long rifle barrel, the number of spins will be,
approximately, (75 cm/89,370 cm per sec)*2630 rev per sec = 2.2 rev

So I learned something about bullet spin rates and certainly agree with
Oren Quist's comment.

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.
Undersea Systems