Re: [Phys-l] Killed by a Falling Bullet? - Myth busters.

Wouldn't that depend on whether horizontal referred to the line of the barrel or the line across the sights? If I remember from my shooting days, they aren't parallel...something about a sightin-in range.
sk

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu]On Behalf Of David
Willey
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 7:54 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Killed by a Falling Bullet? - Myth busters.

R. McDermott wrote:
For the purposes of completeness, it should be pointed out that bullets are
not strictly free-falling objects. A high-velocity rifle bullet fired
horizontally, for example, will typically rise during the first half of its

No, that's wrong. A bullet fired horizontally does not rise at first, it
only does that if fired at an angle above the horizontal,
cheers,
David