Re: [Phys-l] workable versus unworkable energy

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>

As far as the work argument goes internal or thermal energy can be
transferred without any perceptible working.

'Perceptible' is a key word here. Care to explain? Seems to me that the transfer of thermal energy does involve 'working' at the molecular level--one molecule does positive work on another (through electrical forces) while the 2nd molecule does negative work back on the first (or the reverse).

BTW--I do agree that the transfer model, even if it conjures ideas of fluids and flows, is probably the best way to start out students dealing with energy. At the intro, and especially the general-education level, WORK(ING) is a very difficult topic for students. Using it as a basis for understanding ENERGY will leave many (most) in a fog!

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN