Re: [Phys-l] workable versus unworkable energy

At 11:48 AM 1/11/2007, Rick T., you wrote:

....I could choose to look at the fact that
the average, translational kinetic energy per molecule has increased.

I acknowledge John D.'s riposte about the energy mode
of a molecule in a solid being largely vibratory or rotary rather than
translational, I found Rick's insight below, about
thermal to kinetic transfers fresh and helpful.

the great technological advance that lead to the
industrial revolution was when we figured how to convert _some_ thermalized
(thermal) energy into useful work. Prior to the steam engine we only knew
how to transfer kinetic and potential energy into thermal energy, or thermal
energy from one object to another. The ability to go from thermal to
kinetic is a defining point in human development. ....

Rick

No matter how often I discount minor temperature differences
as being inaccessible to providing useful work, I do recall that
"drinking bird" thermal engines, and a variety of Stirling engines
can turn very small delta T's to advantage.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!