Re: [Phys-l] workable versus unworkable energy

Could some kind soul please explain what John is talking about --
maybe give an example or two.

Jim

An analogous situation that has helped some of my students understand that not all energy in every form is available to do work under all conditions
(and therefore defining energy as the ability to do work is confusing):

If I stand before a soda machine with a million pennies, I go thirsty.

Of course all energy-money analogies are flawed, but this something concrete they have experienced and can start discussing.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy