Re: [Phys-l] Force on an accelerating piston

As I understand the question, the "gas" is an irrevancy. I think Dan's question boils down to the following:
In 1 dimension, consider a spring with one end fixed. At time
t=0, apply a constant force to the other end (the "running end", to be nautical). Describe the subsequent motion of the running end as a function of time.
Happy New Year and regards,
Jack