[Phys-l] Reading Hestenes

The chemistry department at our college has hired a temporary instructor who
has an extensive background not only in the research related to teaching
chemistry but also some background in PER.

We are being harangued at lunchtime about how we all have to mend our ways
and listen to the PER people in terms of restructuring the goals and the
methodology used in our Intro to Physics classes.

I have not had the time nor the inclination to wade through PER material.
For those of you who have, did you find it worth the time involved? Are
there particular papers or studies by Hestenes that will give me concepts
that will have demonstrable positive effects in my Intro courses? Are there
other people whose papers are worth reading?

I would especially like to hear from non PER people who have had personal
experience with this - instead of being beat over the head by true believers
- as I am currently by this new instructor :-)

Bob at PC