Re: [Phys-l] simulations, was ADVICE ON LAB EQUIPMENT

Let me note that I have a series of lab simulation software available free--see below. These ARE NOT the kind of simulations that John Clement is referring to, but rather photo-realistic simulations of actual experiments generally done in introductory programs. In fact, there is one package for air tracks and another for the Pasco style carts. I primarily had two goals in developing these. First was to have a pre/post lab tool so that students could be familiar with the equipment and procedures before coming to lab and second was to have a tool to deal with students who missed labs for excused reasons and needed to 'make up' the experience. To that end, what these simulations provide is a way to virtually conduct the experiment. Data can be collected, but it must be recorded in a lab notebook and then the analysis of the data needs to be done in the normal way. That is, the computer does NOT do the analysis or the data collection. A third, but quite minor goal from my perspective, was to provide a way for equipment poor programs to perhaps do a particular experiment for which no equipment funds were available if the instructor deemed the particular experience to be worthwhile.

Seeing that I get many downloads of this software going to countries outside of the U.S. and western Europe, I suspect that they may be being used for a more extensive virtual lab experience. As I think of it right now, these tools could be used in a homework mode for classes that have no formal lab--so that is an OK goal too.

Anyway, if you do any of the experiments listed (see web pages) you might check out the software as a pre/post lab tool. Sorry but these are Windows only programs. I will probably revisit all of these next year, updating as needed (fine tuning animation techniques in light of newer, faster computers).

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
******************************
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Clement" <clement@hal-pc.org>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] simulations, was ADVICE ON LAB EQUIPMENT

It turns out that labs or simulations are very powerful ways of stimulating
students to deeply think about the physical situations. As such they can be
used to dispel deeply imbedded misconceptions. Indeed, Hake Socratic Dialog
labs show very high gain, although they do not expose students to
sophisticated equipment.