Re: [Phys-l] ADVICE ON LAB EQUIPMENT

How much money do you want to spend? How many complete set-ups do you need?

I think the Pasco 2.0-meter air track is exceptionally good. We have 6 of them. They cost $559 each. The air supply is excellent and fairly quiet. It cost $349, but adequately powers two tracks if you have the right work space to get two tracks positioned to use the same air supply. So for one setup you need $908, and for two setups you need $1467. Each track include two gliders and an accessory kit (weights, pulley, bumpers, etc.)

I consider the electric launcher a necessity. That's $79 for one end of one track. If you want to do head-on collisions you need one on each end. You also need some power supplies to run the launchers, but you may already have those (about 5V, 2). You need photogate timers or other electronic timing systems that can time to at least the nearest tenth-millisecond (0.0001 s). For making near instantaneous velocity measurements you should use "double-flag timing." For details on this please see my on-line paper at www.bluffton.edu/~edmistonm/double.flag.timing.pdf

Okay... if you do all that, what kind of results can you get?

(1) Horizontal Atwood's Machine: The glider (m1) is pulled by a falling mass (m2) that is connected to the glider by a thin string passed over the low-mass ball-bearing pulley. N2L-predicted acceleration is a = m2g/(m1+m2). If students are careful to level the track, determine gate positions to nearest quarter-millimeter [ for determining acceleration from a = ((vfinal)^2-(vinitial)^2)/(2deltax) ], the percent disagreement between theory and experiment runs about 1 percent. Experimental-a is less than theory-a because of residual friction.

(2) Same setup as (1) but look at conservation of energy. delta-GPE of falling mass equals delta-KE of (glider and falling mass and pulley). Note, rotational energy of pulley is really small and can be omitted from the calculation if you want. Again, the percent error is about 1%. The KE is about 1% lower than the GPE.

(3) Collisions: Elastic collisions using the rubber-band bumpers supplied with the accessories show about 95% retention of KE. Momentum conservation for elastic collisions yields error of about 2 to 3%, but you have to watch out how you calculate this. For a head-on collision with equal-mass gliders with roughly equal-opposite velocities the initial momentum is about zero. If you figure percent-error the normal way you might be dividing the difference by a near-zero number. There are other ways such as dividing the difference of the two numbers by the average of the two numbers.

For inelastic collisions using the coupler provided (a small nail on one glider sticks into modeling clay on the other glider) the conservation of momentum is a bit worse (about 5% error) because when the gliders stick together they may not retain perfect collinear alignment, and that can create a slight interaction with the track either at the time of collision, or extending beyond the actual collision time. However, in this regard, I find the Pasco coupling system quite better than sticky tape or Velcro systems. The nail/clay system is the best I have used.

I also have a Pasco 2.2-meter track (non-air) with wheeled carts. We tried this to see if we could get results anywhere near the air-track results. We cannot. However, I sometimes transport it to class to show a demonstration (without measurements) so students can get a general idea of something. Not needing to transport (and listen to) an air supply makes this a good in-class demo tool, but for acquiring data it's difficult to get even 10% results. At $449 for the track and accessories we got, that's about 50% of the cost of one air track, and two systems would be 61% of the cost of two air tracks sharing one air supply. So there is some savings, but you pay for it with much-lower-quality data.

That's enough for now. If you have more questions about my experience with these systems, ask away.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817