Re: [Phys-l] AP on GPA (the other AP)

--- --- ---
One solution to the grade inflation problem is to quote the average grade
and STD along with the student grade. The curve could also be included as
the distribution between F and A. Or go to strictly numeric grades and do
away with A,B.. and quote the average & STD.

I've mentioned this within my own school district. It is not a very popular option. There were a few opposing points made that make a certain amount of sense.
1-In an Advanced Placement class, if the majority of students score a 4 or 5 on the AP test (with 5 being the highest score possible) the curve might push some students that earned a 4 down to the average, or perceived C range. This might be true locally, but it may not acurately represent how this student ranks compared to students in other districts. The AP test scores are not released in time to use them year end grades (much less quarter & semester grades that students often use for early admissions).
2-This might encourage top students to avoid honors & advanced placement courses in order to bolster their ranking. This already happens with challenging h.s. courses. To counter this, some school districts offer additional credit for AP courses.
3-When we are fighting to keep the bottom kids in school, this might discourage them even more. To see that they are the bottom 10%-15% in a particular course might be more discouraging than the fact that they have earned a 55% and do still have a change a passing. Imagine the effect on special education & Other Health Impared kids.

Paul Lulai