Re: [Phys-l] Weightlessness in 4 easy steps

A few comments/questions:

| 1) The hard part of the recent discussion revolves around the
| definition of g. There are disagreements about that.
|
| By the way, there seems to be agreement that
| force of gravity = m g [1a]

Not quite so fast:

Let's say I agree to this, (I'm inclined to do so)

What then should I call GMm/r^2, the force of . . .?

I think I either have to distinguish two gravity forces; the E type and
the N type much as you distinguish two g's

Or go to an awkard elocution similar to GMm/r^2 is that part of gravity
not due to W x W x v and W^2 r and W_dot and a_dot effects

Or ?? (suggestions)

| and some mild difference of opinion as to whether
| weight = m g [1b]
| In any case, I'm not gonna worry about [1b] right now.

Important to distinguish whether by g you mean g_vec or |g|, but
regardless your not worrying about that in this post. (see John M's
definition)

| As for g, here are two or three candidates on the table: the
| Newtonian g
|
| - G M
| g_N = -------- r_vector [2]
| r^3
|
| and the Einsteinian g,
|
| g_E = g_N + all other contributions to the [3]
| acceleration of the reference frame
| (relative to a freely-falling test particle)
|
| Also: A third notion of g, namely the "standard" acceleration of
| gravity, g_n (not to be confused with g_N) is not directly relevant
| here. It can be considered a canonical value that approximates
| the average value of |g_E|.
| http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?gn
|
| Note: We need not assume that the equivalence principle holds
| axiomatically, but we must agree that all evidence indicates that
| it holds to a high degree of approximation: to one part in 10^12
| or better.
| http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/eotvos.htm (table V)

Agreed!

| 2) Recognize that in practical applications, when people talk
| about gravity, they almost always mean Einsteinian gravity,
| not Newtonian
| gravity. Swimming pool design is just one down-to-earth application
| among many. The water doesn't care about your opinion (or
| your textbook's opinion) about how to "define" g; the water
| is going to distribute itself according to g_E, not g_N. The
| water distribution is observable physics, not a matter of opinion.
|
| You can "define" g to be g_N if you dare, at the risk of
| being misleading, or at best irrelevant, because g_N is not
| useful in ordinary practical applications.
|
| If you design a pool using g = g_N, one side of the pool will
| be too high by a couple of inches, for a typical 35-foot pool
| in temperate latitudes. This would look really terrible.
|
| Another relevant application involves calculating the force
| of gravity that acts on an object (and which a stationary
| object, in turn, impresses on its support). In the
| terrestrial lab frame, this force will be m g_E ... not m g_N.

Another very much life or death application are possible coriolis
effects any time you wish to lob an artillery shell a distance of many
miles and hit your target.