Bob Carlson

From: "Anthony Lapinski" <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:00:06 -0500

In my view the free body diagram on the astronaut
shows one arrow pointing
toward the Earth. It is the weight of the astronaut,
or mg (g = 8.7 up
there). The astronaut is in free fall, and they have
plenty of weight. It
is this force which makes them accelerate in orbit.
But the scale reads
zero, so they have no apparent weight.

This is more clear to me, but we each have our own way
of explaining
things.

Anybody out there with a different way of explaining
"weightless"
astronauts?