[Original Message]
From: John Mallinckrodt <ajm@csupomona.edu>
Rick Tarara wrote:

For the 'apparent weighters' it is the apparent weight that is zero
because
there is no force opposing the gravitational force and it is that
opposing
force (usually the ground or chair) that provides us with the
sensation of
weight.

All we need in order to have "the sensation of weight" (I would
simply say in order to have weight) is the force from the chair, the
ground, the floor of a spaceship, or ANY other surface that is in
contact with us. There is NO need for that force to oppose some
putative "gravitational force." Moreover the sensation that one gets
in that situation is not merely "similar to" or "indistinguishable
from" the sensation that one gets when there "is" a gravitational
force to "oppose," it is IDENTICAL to that sensation because it is--
in EVERY quantifiable aspect--the same situation.

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona